Sunday, March 20, 2011

I Wanna Dance With Somebody

The other night a bunch of us went out dancing. We were a motley crew of despair, heartbreak and generally in need of just rejoicing, letting our collective hair down, and giving ourselves up to the beat. And of course, it had to be done to old school music. Most of the new stuff is more bump and grind, and while the baser instincts can SOMETIMES relate, it's hard for your soul to truly connect to the latest tracks... also because the memories that one attaches to music haven't quite been cemented in the psyche just yet...

We had a wonderful time to say the least, and well those old tracks lifted up our spirits to a high level. We laughed, and lip-synced, and danced as though we were in our very own dance video. We left inhibition and self-consciousness behind, and danced like no-one was watching, and sang like we were in concert (although I doubt anyone would PAY to see us!).

We moonwalked (ok not really, but would have loved to) to Michael Jackson, and were all faux virginal to Madonna, and basically offered reverence to several old school legends, and even some one-hit wonders... but the song that struck a real chord with the crowd was Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody". Now, it doesn't have the most poetic or deep lyrics, nor is the beat phenomenal... but its appeal lies in it's tag line... 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody - With Somebody Who Loves Me!'

I was one of scores of people from all sorts of backgrounds, and countries, and occupations, and levels of education, and we all sung out earnestly - 'With Somebody Who Loves Me!'

Longing and loving are really quite universal aren't they?

4 comments:

  1. You write with your heart... but you don't follow it. You express every fibre in your being... but you don't know where to channel it. You talk about universal love... but you hurt deep within.

    I don't know you... and I could be very wrong. I can only observe, read and try and feel you. Life itself is quite universal, isn't it?

    *I wanna feel the heat with somebody*

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELLO Anonymous! Beautifully written comment - if you write, I want to read - you've got my curiosity piqued :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In time Goodmood. For the moment, I’m best left as nameless and faceless. Often familiarity breeds contempt. My writings will build a story, if my comments haven’t already. And stories as we both know dwell on perception, where mine could be in striking contrast to yours.

    This way, I can be bold enough to speak my mind... and you can be curt enough to tell me to leave. This way, I don’t have to listen to you... and you don’t have to post my comments. This way, you will want to write and fuel your passion... and I will want to read and tell you who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very intriguing :-)

    But do comment - I like the honesty.

    ReplyDelete