Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Steel

I looked in the mirror this morning, and glimpsed something there that is new. Beneath the obvious facade, there have been changes. Remarkable ones. If I did not have the familiar mask that is my face, I would not be able to recognise myself. Where there was once a skeleton of bone, there is now steel. The strength from within shimmers through. There's an extra sparkle in my eyes, an extra glow on my cheeks. My gait is no longer hesitant but firm, and sure.

The days when I felt helpless and lonely are not that long ago. But the me that was, has been dropped as quickly as last season's favourite fad. I know what I can take now, and I fear nothing. I know what I can handle, and I will not balk. I know what I can survive, and I know I will do it with grace. I know who I can rely on - I look at her every morning in the mirror.

I am woman, hear me roar.
You give me shit, I use it as manure.

1 comment: